Thread: Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood

Arrow Call of Juarez: Bound In Blood for USB Controller

Hi all,
    I just discovered Pinnacle as I was desperate to play this game with a controller and found out about the software. Have to say it's pretty neat and no FPS need ever be played with a keyboard and mouse again lol

Anyway, here's a profile I made for the excellent Call Of Juarez: Bound In Blood. (If you don't have this game, buy it! You won't regret it )

I've set the pad up to pretty much mirror the PS3 controller setup - except with a couple of modifications that I think improve the controls. The controller I set this up is just a standard PS2 style Generic USB joystick.

Couple of things to note: I already had a couple of keys bound to different keys that are not the game defaults. For instance, crouch is CAPS LOCK and I'd changed the weapon select key to E). Other than that, all keys are as default.

Secondly, when dual pistols are selected, the fire button for each is reversed. (ie. Left trigger fires the right weapon and right trigger fires left weapon). This I think occurs because I'm simply mapping the LMB and RMB to the triggers. When playing with a mouse, the LMB is always fire and the RMB can be either AIM or FIRE, depending if dual weapons are selected). Because I like to aim with the left trigger when in single mode I mapped RMB to left trigger. The only solution I can think of is to map them LEFT to LEFT and RIGHT to RIGHT. However, you still have the problem of using the left trigger to fire whilst aiming with right in single weapon mode. But at least this way, the triggers will fire the appropriate weapons in dual mode. Hmmmm...

If anyone can think of a better solution, let me know
    Attached Files Attached Files

You could create a shift button, where when you are in the dual handgun mode, you hit the shift button and your whole configuration will change to whatever you decide. When you're out of dual gun mode, hit the shift button again to go back to normal. This is one way to do it, but I'll bet the admin/mods will probably have an even slicker solution.

BTW, if I understood your post correctly, did you say you changed a couple of the default buttons on the keyboard? I would suggest tailoring your config strictly to the defaults...at least if you want others to use your config without confusion.

Thanks for posting the profile btw.

Thanks for your reply Shant. Sorry, I changed a couple of the default keys and was too lazy to revert them to defaults before undertaking my Pinnacle mapping lol Next time, I'll start with the defaults. So your solution suggests having a 'B' Config and switching to that manually by assigning a SHIFT button? Better than mine but still entails messing around switching between the two configs. I was thinking it might be better to have something that triggers automatically when you select dual weapons. Duals always sit in weapon slots 2 and 4 say (Not sure without going into the game!). So I'm thinking if I could do something clever that acts something like:

If Weapon_Slot is 2 or 4 then
    activate config_b
    else
    activate config_a

Where config_a is the normal trigger set up and config_b is the set up for dual pistols

What do you think?

hmmm...I think I understand what you're suggesting there but alas I can't say I've ever tried it. It is closer to a shift button situation than you might think though. You wouldn't have to create 2 separate configs, that's something called a hot swap. A shift button is a little different, probably more than a little easier to do. In the edit config screen, just pick a button you want to act as the 'shifter' (I usually use left bumper but you could use any button you want) and you'll see several options. Select "assign as shift", and you'll notice all your buttons become available for assignment again (but the original config is still there). So in essence, you can double the amount of commands you can have on one controller just by tapping a button. Highly convenient.

THat is probably the easiest way to tackle your issue, but I'm pretty sure there's a way to make it work 'on the fly' which is what I think you're going for. One of the mods would have to help you there though mate, that's currently out of my league.

I really wanna pick up this game btw...I just hope it's a lot better than the original.

Hi Shant, Been away this week so not had chance to look into some different things. I'm a novice to Pinnacle myself so I'm not fully confident yet of what one can achieve with it! The main reason I wanted joypad support for my PC version is because I play it on the PS3 as well so wanted a controller set-up that was consistent over both platforms.

I'd would DEFINITELY recommend buying this game Shant and yes it is a BIG improvement on the original Call Of Juarez. The Chrome 4 engine it runs on is very good and the gameplay is much improved and the graphics (both in gameplay and cut scenes are absolutely awesome). I think it's been somewhat under-reviewed on the popular game sites (It's averaging 8/8.5). For me, it's the best FPS to come out since COD4.

There are three alternatives to shifting that are available in the current version of PGP. I'm not really sure if they offer better solutions to your problem, but here's a short overview.

The first is called the "double" command. It allows you to put two different commands on a single button, hence "double". You activate one of the two commands depending on how you push the button over a short period of time. Tap it once, Pinnacle executes command #1. Tap it twice, Pinnacle executes command #2. Alternatively, you can activate the commands by tapping vs. holding. It's something you define when you set up a double command, and you can also tweak the timing threshold before the command is triggered.

The second is called a "cycle" command. It allows you to put two or more commands on a single button. Each command is activated sequentially, every time the button is pressed, regardless of timing. Once the list of commands is completed, Pinnacle returns to the top of the list and steps through each command again, hence "cycle".
    1. Tap it once, Pinnacle executes command #10.
    2. Tap it again, Pinnacle executes command #11.
    3. Tap it again, Pinnacle executes command #12.
    4. Tap it again, Pinnacle executes command #10.

The third method was already mentioned by shantd. It's called a "configuration hotswap". Pinnacle stores its instructions in "profiles", and profiles are subdivided into "configurations". For example, in a flight simulator, I might have one configuration for landings and takeoffs and another configuration for dogfighting. So, when I use the "configuration hotswap", I can hit a button on my controller to change my controller from landing/takeoff mode and hit another button to change my controller to dogfighting mode. Alternatively, I could use a cycle command to use a single button to change back and forth between these modes. We call it "hotswapping" because you don't have open up a Pinnacle window to change the "configuration".

At first blush I might suggest a combination of a cycle command and configuration hotswap. The cycle command would consist of two commands, each with two event steps.
    1. (a) select dual pistols, (b) swap to "dual pistol" configuration
    2. (a) unselect dual pistols, (b) swap to "single pistol" configuration

Ah yes, cycle commands, shoulda thought of that. Good call Marco. He could totally make that double command recommendation (where you hold the button down) work for him as well.

Thanks for that Marco. I was aware of double and cycle commands but not quite sure how they could be of help to me. I will have a play with those and let you know how I get on.

excuse my noobiness but where do i put the .pin file if i wanna use the standard usb controller to play this game ??? i wanna play it soooo bad! :/

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside46 View Post
    excuse my noobiness but where do i put the .pin file if i wanna use the standard usb controller to play this game ??? i wanna play it soooo bad! :/
    Read this very short tutorial at this link: http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/foru...52&postcount=1 That should solve your problem.