Thread: Reviews

Reviews

I was thinking, perhaps all of us that game and try frequent games can start writing reviews, so the other people who use Pinnacle have an idea of which games are good or mediocre, etc, in like-minded gamers' minds.

Sure, I know, there's TONS of review sites. But I don't know if it's just me, but havn't any of you ever read a review at a gaming site, and just thought "DAMN SOMEONE HAD TO HAVE PAID THEM TO WRITE LIKE THAT", or otherwise experienced very biased opinions about a game?

Just an idea I'm throwing out, I could write a couple myself, but I wanted to know if anyone else thought it was a good idea, or experienced those thoughts with review sites before.

I think that's a great idea! If you would like to write your own game reviews, please feel free to do so and maybe other people will join you. I would try to write some reviews myself, but I am usually to busy to play my games let alone review them... and so most of the games I play are pretty old now. I rarely get to check out new games, let alone evaluate them enough for a good review. But you can post your reviews here in the Chat section for now, and if we get enough of them, then we'll give reviews their own section.

So..my first saying.

First off, I'd like to state, please no bashing for ANYONE'S views on a review. That seems to be a big problem, and I don't want to be the one to start an angry wasp nest or anything like that.

Each persons review is THEIR opinion, and while many can agree or disagree, if you're going to ARGUE with it, at least do it in a sensible and pleasurable manner, don't be like "OMG DIE YOUR REVIEW SUCKS." I've seen MANY arguments erupt over things like that, and I'd just like to state, it's SO not cool. Hell, I don't even care if you absolutely HATE say..my review. It's better we DISCUSS it, possibly even in the forum itself so people can get both sides to a story, and have logical discussions.

That's just my two cents..and so for my first review, which I'm going to do in another post so as not to keep this one bloated.

Condemned..albeit a very short review.

Condemned...what can we say about condemned? Well, for starters, it is quite a visually stunning game. ..But that's about ALL that we keep me interested. I hate when game's are willing to sacrifice innovation and design to make a visually stunning, and somewhat scary (and repetetive) game. Afterall, picking things up from the enviroment isn't exactly new. As for the forensic tools and such, it hardly seemed DIFFICULT or THOUGHT-TASKING to do. Just a simple pull it out, aim, and click feature.

Why is it that now that I have playd F.E.A.R, I seem to think that most games that will try to do the same will fail? Condemned does do what it's designed to do, but never ONCE strives to be more then it really is--a lackluster horror game.

Sure, it looks pretty. I can say that about almost any game nowadays, especially on the PC or the Xbox 360(or even now the up and coming PS3.)
    I was at my friend Dennis's house playing this, after downloading the demo so I could have a bit more insight as to what the game's TRULY about. so now I didn't play through until the very end. However, I did get quite some time with the game.
    I can say that the atmosphere and the sounds actually add quite a bit of quality to the game itself..but others games do the same. Some MUCH better.

Well...I don't want to make the review very long winded, and while I do think Condemned is worth a rental, it DEFINATELY is not up to F.E.A.R quality or standards, and not worth a buy, unless of course it's for PC, because I'm sure sooner or later a mod community will get their hands on it.

However, if you're like me and just recently found out that places like Blockbuster require you to rent with a credit card, you'll find out that unless you can borrow it from a buddy, it's not actually worth the rental.

Overall, it seems if you like slower-paced games, with some NICE sound effects to draw you into the enviroment, and otherwise SOMEWHAT scary, I think it would be ok.

I think it's a great idea first off.

One thing though: is it even a good idea to compare games when reviewing? Making a suggestion maybe at the end of the review as to which game would be a better buy or best suited for the specific gametype would be better. This isn't really a competition, and the games should be judged on their particular content, not compared to another title.

thats acually one of the reasons i dont like gamespots reviews(the compairing games thing). however, sence these are not profensional reviews i have no problom with it