Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild Wars 2

Arrow Guild Wars 2

Updated 5/17/2014

Greetings everyone! Since its launch I believed Guild Wars 2 would make a great third person action game suited to a controller. This in mind I created my Guild Wars 2 profile. Using it you can now play Guild Wars 2 with a controller as a third person action game while reclining comfortably in your chair. It works wonderfully, so much so that I would go so far as to say that with my profile Guild Wars 2 feels like it was meant to be played with a controller. Sweet!

Control settings to change in Guild Wars 2 to get it to behave properly with my profile:

~ Change WASD controls to, forward, strafe left, backwards, and strafe right respectively. Make Q and E control camera rotation (or leave them unbound since you will never use them)

~ Disable "Double-tap to evade" in the game options.

~ To use the Look Behind command in my profile, while in-game bind Look Behind to "U".

~ I find that using the Fast with Range Indicator targeting option works best with my profile.

Control Philosophy:

~ This profile was tested using a Guardian, an Elementalist, and a Thief, all work very well.

~ After more than a few iterations I made a design decision to only include controller commands directly related to gameplay. The way I see it is that the keyboard and mouse is better suited for things like inventory management, mail, hero panel, menu navigation, etc, so having a controller command assigned to these functions seemed useless since you are going to be reaching for your keyboard anyway. This decision streamlined the controls a bit and allowed for added functionality.

~ The right stick is your camera control like any good third person game. I find it's easiest to adjust the sensitivity and whether or not to invert the camera from within the game.

~ The left trigger is what you will use to move your mouse pointer and cast ground targeted spells. Ground targeting was tested using an Elementalist and a Thief. Here's how it works (with the Fast with Range Indicator targeting option selected): pull and hold the left trigger, position the cursor where you want the spell/skill to be cast and then press the spell/skill button. That's it! Using a controller to cast ground targeted spells also allows for full mobility while casting, I dare you to try dodging back and to the left while casting ground targeted spells with a keyboard and mouse. Tricky at best. Another way to use the left trigger is in the map screen. Open the map and the right stick will by default drag the map around, pull and hold the left trigger to re-place or move the cursor around the map, then let go of the trigger and you can continue to drag the map around.

~ The right trigger is bound to the press and hold command Interact/Double Click. What this means is that you pull and release the trigger to interact with anyone/anything and that you pull and hold the trigger to choose dialog options, loot a corpse (turning on auto loot makes this unnecessary), or equip items from your inventory. For example, stand near a corpse and pull and release the left trigger to interact with it, then pull and hold the trigger to pick up what's on offer. I have found no situation where using a double click rather than single click creates problems.

~ There are a lot of double commands, but I maintain a button mapping philosophy throughout the the profile to eliminate confusion. For example, each character has 5 weapon skills assigned to keys 1-5. So instead of mapping 1-4 to A, B, X, Y and number 5 to some other random button I decided to assign 1-3 to X, Y, and B, and then 4 and 5 to the left and right bumpers, and like any good game A is mapped to Jump. I feel this will make remembering the assignments easier since there is no confusion as to "is 4 assigned to A, or was it B?", this way 1-3 are aligned with the top 3 face buttons and 4 and 5 are on the left and right bumpers respectively. Similarly, each character can have 3 utility skills bound to 7-9. These skills are also bound to X, Y, and B in the same way the weapon commands are mapped to the face buttons except that these skills are fired when the button is held.

Changelog:

Updated 5/17/2014
    ~ A few lingering problems have been sorted.

Updated 5/3/2013
    ~ The guide button now fires the Elite Skill because that just seems appropriate.
    ~ Implemented a new, much simpler camera control (assigned by default now) method that eliminates the cursor warping to different locations on the screen. Using this new command also eliminates the need to follow the tutorial further down the page and will have you in the game much quicker now. Hooray for progress! The old command is still in the profile just because I like it and a lot of work went into it.
    ~ Fixed inconsistencies between shifted and unshifted modes.

Updated 9/16/2012
    ~ "Butt mode" (It's best not to ask) fixed. Great work on this one Amakou!

Updated 9/3/2012
    ~ Added functionality whereby releasing the right stick the mouse pointer will automatically GoTo the coordinates you specify (see the tutorial further down the page). Note: the instructions further down the page instruct you on how to make the cursor GoTo a coordinate at the center of the screen. I and several other posters found this to be inconvenient since the camera control function relies on a lot of mouse clicking and resulted in a lot of targeting/auto attacking. The solution to this is to make the cursor GoTo a coordinate in an unused portion of the screen. I now have my GoTo coordinate set to warp my cursor to just above the chat window when moving the camera as you are in no danger of clicking anything important over there. Experiment with it and find out what works best for you.
    Thanks to Dessa for the great idea.

Updated 8/27/2012
    ~ New screenshot functionality added to the back button. Press and hold the back button and the interface disappears, when you release the back button the screenshot is captured and the interface reappears. Sweet!
    ~ Pressing and holding the Left Bumper enables you to look behind your character. To get this to work, in Guild Wars 2 set the look behind keystroke to "U".

Download the profile here:

Guild Wars 2 by toddmd2.pin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by toddmd2; 05-18-2014 at 04:12 AM. Reason: v2.0 as of 5/17/2014

I'll be trying this out come release and maybe do my own. I personally found w,a,s,d a little grinding on the left hand, so a nice smooth left stick won't go amiss.

P.S release the game already!!

Quote Originally Posted by sagebirt View Post
    I personally found w,a,s,d a little grinding on the left hand
    Agreed, let me know what you think come August 28th.
    Last edited by toddmd2; 08-12-2012 at 02:15 AM.

Hey there - love this profile, I've tried it over the last beta weekend and the last few stress tests and it works fantastically well!

The only issue I've had is with the mouse cursor flying around all over the place - I'm wondering if there's a way that when you pull the left trigger the mouse cursor can be made to "snap" to a specific area of the screen, like just in front of your character or something? That way you can always predict where it's gonna be instead of having to look around the screen to work out just where the hell it's gone when you're trying to ground target something.

Lightbulb Guild Wars 2

Thanks for the feedback and glad to hear you like it!

There is also a way to get the pointer to snap to a particular spot on the screen while not using mouse spring, I haven't tested this method in game (because I just figured it out and just now added it into my profile) but the problem I see with it is that it will be resolution dependent. For example, I play my games at 1680 x 1050, so the coordinates I use for my screen resolution (840 x 370, this snaps the cursor a couple inches above my character's head) wouldn't work for someone using a higher or lower screen resolution because the centers of their screens wouldn't be the same as mine. Watch this space though, I will test your cursor snapping method during the three day head start. If it works well I will post a short tutorial on how to modify this setting in my profile to get it to work at different resolutions.

I have also decided to add a bit more functionality to the profile (such as "call target") which I hope to have up and running by launch day so you might want to re-download my profile again at a later date. I'll make note of it in the OP.

Oh cool! Yeah, I thought there must be a way of doing it, but as a complete Pinnacle noob I wouldn't have a clue as to where to even start looking! And yeah, as someone who plays at 1920 x 1080, any help on how to place the cursor would definitely be appreciated!

I also had something happen a few times during the last stress test whilst using my 360 controller that was a little odd - if I moved the cursor round to point at say, an attackable mob and left it there for a second or two, without pressing any buttons my character would start attacking the mob it was hovering over. I tried the same thing with keyboard and mouse and it didn't occur, which was interesting. It was as though either Pinnacle or the 360 controller was auto-attacking the selected mob by itself as, like I say, I wasn't hitting any attack buttons or anything. Maybe it's something to do with GW2 auto-attacking settings or something, but it seemed odd that it didn't do it with the mouse and keyboard. Anyway, I'll try it again at launch and see if it happens again , or if it's just me somehow.

Here's what I think is happening with that. In order to use the right stick for straight camera control, the way the command is written in Pinnacle is that when you push the right stick to move the camera Pinnacle is telling the game to hold down the right mouse button while the stick is moving and to release the right mouse button when the stick stops moving. This command is essentially what would happen if you were to hold down the right mouse button and move the mouse around, the camera moves. I think that this right clicking might be what is setting the enemies off.

Update 8/27/12
    This was happening to me while playing this evening. I believe my original thought was correct.
    Last edited by toddmd2; 08-27-2012 at 05:25 AM.

I'll be jumping on the stress test soon. I'm not going to do a lot on it so I though i'd try out the profile. If one is done right, I think this game will really benefit from it. The developers have mentioned about having a more "console" style to combat, so a controller setup would make far more sense.

Can you set this up with a ps3 controller downloadble version? I tried to set it up but i'm a noob and failed.

Thanks xDD

Quote Originally Posted by soulskillz View Post
    Can you set this up with a ps3 controller downloadble version? I tried to set it up but i'm a noob and failed.

Thanks xDD
    Sorry mate, I have no experience with setting up Pinnacle to work with a PS3 controller, nor do I own any to even try to experiment with it.

This however might be a good place to start:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4809736_use-...-computer.html

I think the trick is getting Windows/Pinnacle to recognize the controller and this might do the trick. Drop a post in the Tech Support forums if my suggestion doesn't work.
    Last edited by toddmd2; 08-30-2012 at 06:00 AM.