Thread: Latest update & Battlefield 3

Latest update & Battlefield 3

Well, several failures in trying to use PGP v6.1.6 now with Battlefield 3. The first annoying thing is the latest PGP not consistently activating a profile when the .exe file is running. And no, this is not because I checked the box to not auto-apply the profile or because I'm editing the profile. I'm not a newb. I used PGP for over two years with SWBF2 and the joystick controller mentioned below.

In regards to Battlefield 3: the previous PGP update was kind of working, but was quite unresponsive in releasing simple commands like 'move forward' while firing PGP commands for vehicle movement (without the game hook installed). My tank would keep moving forward for an eternity after I moved the joystick to the center position. the regular in-game binds do not do this.

And there were no commands fired from PGP for 'move forward', 'move backward' or 'sprint' with the game hook installed. I was unable to un-install the game hook once it was installed. Yes, I would click the link in PGP to uninstall this and click OK on everything and when I would check the advanced settings, the profile would still show game hook installed. While trying to get this working with BF3, I had to delete the profile and either start over or import a backup copy that did not have the game hook installed.

- Running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
    - Using a Logitech Force 3D Pro joystick

All I was trying to do was allow the joystick Y Axis to control vehicle movement forward (sprint when joystick tilted 95% forward) and vehicle movement backward, since BF3 currently does not allow the Y Axis to control both forward and reverse movement (hopefully they will fix this bug. Battlefield 2 and BF2142 allowed this). If the DICE team fixes the Y Axis bind for vehicle movement, then I would only use PGP for sprint when the joystick is tilted 95% forward.

Thanks for any help in these matters!

Jet

P.S. For testing and my own sanity, I launched this very basic profile as a persistent profile and went to notepad.exe in windows and saw that when the joystick is moved forward it holds the "W" key down and when moved backward it holds the "S" key down. And when the Y Axis is tilted to 95% either forward or back, the profile holds the L-Shift key down. I had to hit "Play" each time to get the profile active because of the annoying update I talked about above. And while the profile was active, PGP would not send commands into the game in either case of the game hook not being installed, or with the game hook installed. I'm done. Someone else can work on this now please! Totally P.O.ed, thank you!
    Last edited by Jetset; 11-14-2011 at 04:47 PM.

First Manually delete the game Hook, Go Into the games folder (where the exe is), and Delete Dinput8.dll and Xinput1_3.dll. Then you can make a profile in PGP using keyboard commands. Note DX Overrides will not work without the hook installed. For what you are doing you shouldn't really need the hook installed assuming the game responds to the keyboard as well as a Controller.

Do you know what version of PGP you were using prior to the update? I don't see how any bugs like you described could have appeared in v6.1.6 if they were not already happening in v6.1.5 (which has been the latest version for the past 2 months)

I think I might have something similar going on. I installed the front page Battlefield 3 pin probably half a dozen times now but nothing changes, just stays with all buttons "unassigned".

Im a long time supporter of PGP, but this is the first game I have ever used that I cannot get PGP to work with. Not to mention no matter how hard I try BF3 will not let me assign my mouse to forward/reverse movement. And after trying the BF3 profile posted here, now my BF3 no longer lets me do anything in regards to key assignments, lol... The game just freezes the moment I touch ANY keyboard key. This behavior only started after following the instructions precisely in the bf3 thread here.

Is there any way to see if the .pin actually contains key assignments? Because its not changing anything when I import it.

All I want to do is use my Joysticks trigger (for fire) and the 13 buttons and hat switch. Plus I want to use mouse left/right clicks as forward/reverse, in that order.

Mouse is a Razer Copperhead with latest firmware and drivers.
    Joystick is a usb Cyclone Digital SV-286 by InterAct. (no longer existing company) But has worked great with PGP for many years now.

Any ideas or tips to try?

Quote Originally Posted by }SkOrPn--'
    -Not to mention no matter how hard I try BF3 will not let me assign my mouse to forward/reverse movement. And after trying the BF3 profile posted here, now my BF3 no longer lets me do anything in regards to key assignments, lol... The game just freezes the moment I touch ANY keyboard key. This behavior only started after following the instructions precisely in the bf3 thread here.
    This is the first time I hear this (and the profile has been downloaded A LOT) so that's weird. have you tried restoring defaults or just copying your saved controls file back? That should just restore your previous setup. If you also copied the dinput* and xinput* files to block the default controlled detection, remove those too. If you still have the same problems, it can't be caused by the actions stated there....Also, make sure you change the controls directly after booting the game and before playing a game.

Quote Originally Posted by }SkOrPn--'
    Is there any way to see if the .pin actually contains key assignments? Because its not changing anything when I import it.
    The profile contains assignments and works fine here.

If you have more questions regarding this profile, please use the dedicated thread where you downloaded it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle [Aldo] View Post
    This is the first time I hear this (and the profile has been downloaded A LOT) so that's weird. have you tried restoring defaults or just copying your saved controls file back? That should just restore your previous setup. If you also copied the dinput* and xinput* files to block the default controlled detection, remove those too. If you still have the same problems, it can't be caused by the actions stated there....Also, make sure you change the controls directly after booting the game and before playing a game.

The profile contains assignments and works fine here.

If you have more questions regarding this profile, please use the dedicated thread where you downloaded it.
    Nevermind me and my old age. A quick removal, cleanup with CCleaner and reinstall of the game, PGP and all necessary files, DX and VC and it looks to be working just fine now. Not sure though, but when I was installing DirectX it should have told me everything was up to date, but it did NOT, it just installed like it does when you first go to install. I have a feeling now that maybe I forgot it in the first place. This windows build was just installed fresh no more than 2 or 3 months ago or so, and this is the first game since Crysis2 that I have had time to mess with.

Will post in the bf3 thread if it still does not work. Thanks again and as always thanks for many years of a great app.

Glad to hear you got it working now